Monday, November 2, 2015

Summer of '69: Revisited (A Photo Essay)


My family often goes to Lake Superior, the place that Longfellow called the “shining Big-Sea-Water” in his Hiawatha poem. We grew up next to the big lake, and it’s colors and patterns are imprinted on our minds. Like birds returning to their favored nesting grounds or salmon fighting their way upstream, we are drawn to it shores. Well, okay, for me it’s just a connecting flight from Brooklyn via Minneapolis, but with plane delays and the Duluth airport often cloaked in fog drifting up from the lake sometimes I feel like one of those salmon leaping up stepped locks next to giant dams...

A while ago my sister and niece called their getaway weekend “Crystal Blue Persuasion,” a perfect name for a Lake Superior trip. With that single act, they began a tradition in our family of naming vacations after songs, forcing me to come up with something as good or better for our August, 2015 family gathering. I considered “Spirit in the Sky” and also “Stone Soul Picnic,” but when “Summer of ‘69” flashed through my head, it was Eureka all the way. 

The word went out, and in August, in the dunes and on the shores of Gitche Gumee, we gathered to commune with the ancient and awesome spirit of the shining waters, which I duly photographed. Later, while processing the pictures, I had a hard time deciding whether to push the color in a psychedelic way, or to be more laid back. The question was answered when I fell in love with the soft and subtle blacks and whites of the sky, dunes and water, and the drama of the people shining through the monotonal framework. And really, black and white photos are quite true to the spirit of 1969 when color photography was around but by no means ubiquitous.

But I just couldn’t give up color altogether, so I put a little back, just a little, and now the pictures look a bit like early 20th century portraits, when photographers added hints of color to black and white prints. These tinted pictures have become a lasting record of our joyful experience and a tribute to to the spirit of the truly "great" lake, our family’s spiritual center.

PS: The "grass" depicted in a few photos is simply that - a frond of beach grass! We were all on a natural high, man.







































No comments: